Sunday, February 13, 2011

Number 10: Talking Heads- Once In A Lifetime.

When I was around the age of six or seven, I began to pay attention to the music that both my mother and my father played in their car as they drove me from one place to the other. My dad mainly listened to Jazz and the occasional mixtape filled with obscure music that never really got my attention. However every time I entered my mothers car, there were usually about two bands that played. One being her all time favorite, Bruce Springsteen and the other being U2. However every once and awhile she played something new and interesting. She had me listen to artists that she enjoyed like Billy Idol and David Bowie and every once and awhile some forgotten indie band like Carbon Leaf. But nothing caught my attention quite like "Once In A Lifetime." I remember listening to it without quite understanding what it was David Bryne was trying to say. I just enjoyed for the unique sounds of an odd synthesizer and the unusual sense of rhythm. I also often found myself laughing at David Bryne's  ecstatic vocal delivery and bizarre lyrics (I still remember asking my mother how one would take the water from the bottom of the ocean.) As I aged this song sat in the back my mind never moving and never losing its place in my memory. However, I never went out of my way to listen to it. It wasn't on my Ipod and I never felt the need to look it up on youtube. But something changed once I sat down and watched the bands concert movie entitled "Stop Making Sense." I enjoyed the movie quite a bit but I always kept on the edge of my seat just waiting to see Once In A Lifetime. Once it came, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I sat in awe as I witnessed what was arguably the best live performance of a song I had ever heard. Suddenly my feelings for the song returned and I was at last old enough to comprehend what David Bryne was communicating so effortlessly. But one thing stuck to me during the following days, I realized that this was the first song I had ever been truly in love with, and now as I continue to grow up and I look towards the uncertainty of the future, I can take comfort in the fact that this song has shown me that life is strange and it can be painful, but above all, its an exciting mysterious and beautiful journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment